Friday, October 14, 2011

Star Explorer....Friday Feature: Sun Conjunct Saturn 2:14 PDT/21/13 UT/GMT

On the table near my front window, I keep my Star Explorer. My neighbor downstairs has his telescope set up by his window, but I'm using my wonderful Star Explorer Wheel to locate and identify the constellations in the night sky. For some reason, this seems like more fun when the days grow shorter and the nights grow longer and darker. The Star Explorer I use is a disc wheel that helps me locate constellations from wherever I am, any night of the year. Tonight as I look to the northern sky, I'm going to be looking for the 6-star constellation of Cassiopeia...the lady of the Autumn night sky in the Northern Hemisphere. Andromeda and Pegasus should be just below Cassiopeia, and at the tip of Pegasus, I should be able to spot Equulius. There are so many constellations that should be visible in a clear night sky, but I usually limit myself to trying to identify just two or three. The rest, I simply enjoy, watching for shooting stars, and perhaps a satellite or some cluster of dense matter that may be visible. Regardless of what I see in the sky, I look forward to clear skies so I can star gaze.

The stars take us back in time, and forward too. They remind us of our Source, and promise us the constancy of change and dynamism of the Universe, and the possibilities of Universes and dimensions beyond our reach or understanding. The stars also connect us to our own personal experiences. It was a year ago this week that I woke in the middle of the night, wondering about a dear friend who was in the hospital. As I looked out at the midnight and early morning sky, a shooting star shot straight down, looking as if it had crashed into the mountains north, across the river. Later I would discover that my friend had died. Coincidence? For me a comforting reminder that we are all part of the stardust universe of souls and energy, and when we lose someone near, it is nice to have a window sill, a star finder, a telescope, or a clear view to remind us of those we love the most, and to remember what really matters.

May you find a star to gaze upon tonight or sometime soon. Feel a part of the Oneness of the Universe; feel at home in the starlight and moonlight where you find yourself. Remember those stars that looked as if you could touch them on a high mountain road or the desert sky on a beautiful summer's night? Remember the full moon shining through the trees or the new crescent moon signaling the start of a new lunar month and the coming holy days? Enjoy the stars and the beauty of the sky and our place in it all.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Catherine: You have a gift and this looks like a wonderful way for people to discover you. It is beautiful and very well written. Thanks, Lots of love, Eloise

    ReplyDelete